After the latest Google update, there were problems with indexing videos on the site. Main problems: Video is too high and video is out of view.
We managed to solve this problem. Here we will describe our experience of how we did it.
All the work was carried out on a website where there are a lot of videos from YouTube, so the problem turned out to be large-scale.
Before fixing the indexing problem, we used a plugin to replace the video with its thumbnail. This made it possible to increase the performance of the Google speed test.
It had to be turned off. Further, when analyzing the code, it was revealed that the YouTube video code is wrapped in a p tag.
A code has been added to the theme’s functions.php that removes code wrapping from YouTube:
return preg_replace(‘/<p>\s*(<iframe.*>*.<\/iframe>)\s*<\/p>/iU’, ‘\1’, $content);
It was like this:
After that, we informed Google in the search console that we had fixed the error Video is too high and began to wait for the result. A few days later we received an answer that the problem was solved, but only partially. Apparently, we still need to wait until all the videos are analyzed by the search engine.
The screenshot shows that fixing the problem resulted in an increase in traffic. The drop in traffic began at the moment when problems with video appeared.
As a result, we were left with 585 videos in the index, and there were 1500. The result was that more than a thousand videos were included in the index using this method.
With this simple method, you can fix video indexing problems and start receiving additional traffic.